"My daughter is six years old. She transitioned, which means she changed her outward appearance from male to female and started living full time as her true gender, when she was four. Until that point she was quite a rough and tumble little boy with a buzz cut and a shark tooth necklace."
And so begins the absolutely beautiful speech Debi Jackson gave earlier this year about her transgender daughter, AJ, in Kansas City. As Jackson continues, she outlines how her family came to realize that AJ is transgender, what happened the first day she went to school "in girl clothes" and the bigotry her family faced.
But the best part of the video may be when Jackson addresses the comments she’s heard about her daughter and sets the record straight about statements like you "wanted a girl so you turned your child into one" and "kids have no idea what they want or who they are — my kids wants to be a dog, should I let him?" Spend six minutes and get to know Jackson and her family a little better. You’ll be happy you did.
- Plane crash claims 100 top AIDS researchers heading to Melbourne’
- World AIDS Conference speakers take aim at countries with anti-gay laws
- Croatia passed law allowing civil partnerships for same-sex couples
- Singapore Court of Appeals considers end the country’s ban on gay sex
- Turkey court recognizes hate speech against gays for the first time
- US president signs executive order banning (some) LGBT criminalisation
- Whistleblower: NSA stores 80% of all phone calls: not metadata, full audio
- While housing decreases, homelessness now a crime in many US cities
- US state accidentally decriminalized prostitution, good things happened
- The World Health Organization calls for the decriminalization of drug use
- Members of US Congress declare "immunity" from insider trading probe
- Snowden: NSA employees routinely pass around intercepted nude photos